Io Voulgaraki was born in Athens, Greece in 1985. She studied Greek language and philology at the National and Kapodestrian University of Athens. Alongside this, she studied acting at the National Theatre of Greece Drama School, from which she graduated in 2006. After two years of acting in Greece, she entered the Russian Academy of Theatre Arts (GITIS) in Moscow (Faculty of Directing of Dramatic Theatre, under professor Leonid Efimovich Heifetz), from which she graduated with distinction in June 2013.
She is a founding member of the Athenian theatre company “PYR”. She teaches acting at Athens Conservatory Drama School and at the Municipal and Regional Theatre of Patras Drama School.
Selected works as a director:
• “Agamemnon” (Aeschylus), National Theatre of Greece, Ancient Theatre of Epidaurus, June 2019
• “The Battle of Sounds” (Th. Economou), National Opera of Greece, Alternative Stage, Athens, March 2019
• “Incendies” (W. Mouawad), National Theatre of Northern Greece, Royal Theatre Stage, Thessaloniki, January 2019
• “Molly Sweeney” (B. Friel), Neos Cosmos Theatre, PYR Theatre Company, Athens, October 2017
• “The Arrival” (Βased on the section “The Killing of the Suitors” from Homer’s Odyssey), Little Theatre of Ancient Epidaurus, Athens and Epidaurus Festival, PYR Theatre Company, July 2017
• “Orlando” (V. Woolf), Skrow Theatre, Athens, September 2016
• “Intolerance” (D. W. Griffith), Onassis Cultural Centre, Main Stage, PYR Theatre Company, Athens, January 2016
• “KassandER” (D. Dimitriadis), Grotowski Institute, Wroclaw, January 2015
• “The Robbers” (F. Schiller), Athens and Epidaurus Festival, PYR Theatre Company, Athens, July 2014
• “The Ogreling” (S. Lebeau), Russian Academic Youth Theatre (RAMT), Moscow, December 2013
• “Feast in Time of Plague” (A. Pushkin), Vyrsodepseio Theatre, PYR Theatre Company, Athens, January 2013